Unite UW | Howard, Spring 2017
16035
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-16035,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-theme-ver-11.1,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive

Howard, Spring 2017

“Today, my fraternity brothers are some of the most genuine and supportive people that I’ve ever met. There are certain stereotypes about fraternities, I try to represent the Greek community in a positive light in my other friend circles to beat those stereotypes.”

Middle school is rough, but for me it was especially hard. Back in elementary school, all the kids got along and I could laugh and play with everyone, even though I had a language barrier. I was only seven when my family moved to the US from Taiwan (for the education system and fresh air) and I’ve never felt like a full American. I never felt fully Taiwanese, either. In middle school, I started to notice different cultural ideas and practices and began to struggle to find who I should hang out with and where I belonged. High school was easier because I stopped caring so much about what other people thought. I’ve started to realize that my multicultural perspective is a positive thing since it allows me to be more open-minded and adaptable. I found some true friends who were inclusive and laid-back like me. However, when I got to UW, I decided to explore beyond my high school clique. On a campus with 40,000 undergraduates, I didn’t want to share a room with a friend, I told myself it was time to get out of my comfort zone. One day, a friend invited me to a fraternity social and I ended up rushing. Today, my fraternity brothers are some of the most genuine and supportive people that I’ve ever met. There are certain stereotypes about fraternities, I try to represent the Greek community in a positive light in my other friend circles to beat those stereotypes. Having multiple friend groups and building an understanding about different communities is such an enriching experience. I’ve connected with a faith group and Unite UW—and stood by my fraternity brothers. UW is such a great place to learn about other people’s perspectives. I’ve come a long way since the uncertainty of middle school, and look forward to the rollercoaster that lies ahead!